Saturday, January 17, 2009

PB and J French Toast



This week on Good Morning America they made something that sounded delicious. I told my husband about it and he said “oh you are making that Saturday morning!” So I did…with a few minor changes to the recipe…of course. (I didn’t use heavy cream…I used more milk. I didn’t soak the sandwiches for 3 minutes like they said to on the show because they were too soggy for our taste. I used real vanilla extract from our honeymoon in Cancun. And in my sandwiches I used syrup not jelly…like I eat my regular PB sandwich.) Jake and C.J. liked it…and Jake actually liked the ones WITH syrup NOT jelly better…and he loves globby grape Welchs jelly dropping out of his regular sandwiches…GAG ME!

Peanut Butter & Jelly French Toast
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
8 slices brioche or other soft bread
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup fruit preserves
Butter for coating pan

In a wide shallow dish combine milk, cream, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and scraped vanilla bean. Spread the bread slices evenly with the peanut butter and jelly and form sandwiches.

Dip assembled sandwiches in batter, coating each side evenly. Heat a large cast iron or non-stick griddle over medium heat.

Grease pan with butter. When butter starts to sizzle, turn heat up a notch. Place sandwiches on the griddle and cook, 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
Cut diagonally and serve with maple syrup
Courtesy of Marc Meyer, Co-Owner of Five Points, Cookshop and Hundred Acres

No comments: